Do Not Worry About Tomorrow


 

In the far corner of a parking area in our neighborhood park sits a dumpster. It is there for the sole use of city maintenance, I am sure, but it attracts the most interesting collection of trash between pickups. I approach this space from the farthest corner of the park, giving me plenty of time to guess what was added during the night as it all slowly comes into focus on my approach up the sidewalk.
Sometimes I guess correctly. Chairs are easy, as are the random couches that are ditched here. From time to time, a desk, chest of drawers or table is left out in the weather. Five gallon paint cans, boxes and carpet scraps, pieces of tree trunks and limbs cut up with chainsaws, these are some of the common offerings left to the dumpster. But this morning was different.
My first thought was of the old science fiction movie, “The Blob”, starring a very young Steve McQueen. I remember first seeing the film on television with my father on a rainy Saturday afternoon when we could not be about our scheduled chores. A tiny little blob of an alien began to eat people, growing in size with each victim. I smiled to myself. But with each step I took, it seemed to resemble the creature more and more. When I finally arrived at the dumpster, I was actually relieved to find only the largest bean bag chair I had ever seen.
Our minds can race off in many directions at any time over any thing. We can create all manner of difficult scenes and scenarios in our minds, distracting ourselves from the task ahead or the blessings in hand. This robs us of so much of our precious lives. I believe that is why Jesus taught us not to worry. He spoke of worry about clothes and food. He makes the point that all the worry in the world can’t change a thing, “ or add one day to our life.” Then he offers an alternative way to live.
“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
Let us not be distracted by worry but guided by a commitment to live God’s way in the world. Let us focus on kindness and humility and compassion. Let us follow the way of grace and love and peace. Waste no time imagining the worst. We have much good to do in the world.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud