Moment In Between


 

In the hour or so before dawn, I love to walk around the church. Traffic on the busy street is almost nonexistent. It is quiet and still. Rabbits scurry everywhere, and occasionally I have seen a lone coyote. The lights around the property play against the sky that will only be night for a short while longer. The result is often a sky that seems thick and heavy, even when there is to be no rain. It looks as if sound should be muffled and muted, as if after a snow.
As the moon came into the same frame of vision as the cross, I realized this was one of those moments suspended in time. I was gazing up in a moment that straddled the line between night and day. It was both. It was neither. This moment belonged to itself.
We can find ourselves feeling as if we are living in such a moment. Sometimes we feel “in between”. That can be a good feeling; things are changing and the new is right around the corner. New health. New opportunities. New experiences. New beginnings.
Sometimes it can bring a heavy heart. We wonder why we can’t I turn this corner. We can’t see the future because everything looks like the night. We feel stuck.
The Psalmist writes, “Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice.” I like to think that covers all the in between moments as well. I like to think that God also hears us when we cry out in joy and anticipation for what lies on the other side of our in between. God is God of all moments and is with us through them all.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud