Same Purpose


 

As I walk, I often enjoy the interesting combinations of objects that find themselves together. Gathered together on this table top, under the spreading branches of a great shade-giving tree, was the following lineup: a miniature watering can, a Buddha head, a Tyrannosaurus Rex and flower pot. Even more interesting, they all four had been planted with greenery. As different and varied as these objects are, they all serve the same purpose. And it appears that they will all do it well.
I have always loved the Church, with all its flaws and struggles. I am one of those kids who grew up a church mouse and never left. As a child and youth, my social life was always centered in our church. When I graduated high school, I began working in churches. Now, after over 40 years, my life is still centered in the church.
One of the things I have always loved about the Church is the variety of people that come together in the community of faith. People of varied backgrounds. People of different political perspectives. People with totally different life experiences. Still we gather to worship, serve, learn and share life’s journey together. When we line up, we no doubt look like the quartet on this table top, quite the odd collection.
As different as we are, we also serve the same purpose. We love God back. We love and serve our neighbor. We have all been planted with hope to share and grace to give away freely. Each of us, unique in our own way, sharing the way of Jesus.”
“Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons.”
These words from 1 Corinthians give us encouragement to be both our unique selves and to share the same purpose. I haven’t found a better way to live life.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud