See God in the Shadows


 

The days are slowly beginning to shorten as Summer fades and Fall approaches. With the changing of the seasons comes the changing of the light. As the sun was beginning to set, I walked into the world of lengthening shadows. Shadows break up the monotony of the blazing sun and give a different contour to the landscape.
Shadows also give us pause to think of the different experiences of our lives. Between the sunny days of joy and ease and the hard and harsh trials of the night, we live much of our lives in the in between of shadow. Days that aren’t too bad or too exciting. Problems that are manageable and not overwhelming.
When I was a young man in my 30s I was frustrated with my ministry. I went to visit my dad. I asked him if he had always enjoyed his work and found it fulfilling. He gave me a strange look and said, “Son, I worked my job for 42 years and never once asked myself that question. It was my job. I went to work every day. Provided for my family. That’s why they call it a job.”
We then talked about life over the long haul, about how life isn’t all sunshine, but neither is it only night. There is much meaning to be found in the shadows, for that is where much of life is found.
The Psalmist found great comfort in shadow. “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust.” In another poem, they write that “even in the valley of the shadow of death, thou art with me.” Beautiful words that acknowledge that we live with shadows. Beautiful words that help us see God in the shadows. Beautiful words that help us find joy, whatever shadows may fall.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud