Strength Through the Storm


 

There is nothing quite like the sky when the afternoon heat has caused showers to pop up here and there just before sunset. The sharp contrast between darkness and light. The way the clouds suddenly seem to loose ground to the clear skies. The way the sun seems to slowly win the battle to close the day. All these aspects come together to provide a snapshot of the beauty and power of creation.
Such scenes also cause me to reflect on the way we feel in certain seasons of our life. Sometimes the darkness can be overwhelming. Sometimes it seems that the light will never break through. Just when we feel we have made it through a storm, another one pops up.
In my work, I have had the holy privilege to walk along side others through such seasons in their lives. Their strength is astounding. Their ability to keep the rest of life going when trying to find their way in the storm speaks to a deep and abiding faith. But I think what has the greatest impact on me is the ability they have to be honest with God. These strong souls sound like the Psalmist of scripture. The conversation they have with God is direct and real. Their relationship with God has grown past platitudes and blossomed into a faith the trusts God, even with the hardest questions and strongest emotions of life.
“How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I take counsel in my soul and have sorrow in my heart all the day? How long shall my enemy be exalted over me? Consider and answer me, O Lord my God; light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death, lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed over him,” lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken. But I have trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. ...”
These words from the Psalmist seem at first to be negative and accusatory. But instead they are a profound statement of hope. Even in the midst of the struggle, their heart knows trust and love and the hope of future joy. This is the faith that saw them through the storm. This is the faith that can see us through ours as well.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud