Anchor of Contentment


 

As I walk my neighborhood each time, I enjoy the sizes and shapes and colors of each of the houses. The variety is amazing. People have expressed themselves and their unique personalities in so many ways. I have come to feel I know something about each family, even though I have never met them. At times I feel there is a sense of comfort among these streets, a peacefulness that comes with contentment.
On this particular morning, I notice another structure, a new thing, at least to me. It could have been there for years, but I just noticed it today. And it is my favorite color, blue. This bird feeder is ready to welcome guests , you can just feel it. The color gives it that little something extra. Were I a bird, this would be my regular lunch stop. It is in a beautiful shady spot with a great view. What more could a bird desire?
What does it take to be content? Too often we think that we will find that peaceful place through the acquisition of more things. Sometimes we think we will find it through power. The search often keeps us from finding that which we seek. Contentment can feel very illusive at times.
The Apostle writes, “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.” Oh, to be able to say that about our life. Oh, to be a person who can remain steady when the storms rage and times are difficult. What a joy it would be to have an inner peace and contentment that was not dependent on the external, but was anchored in our soul.
The next line in the Apostle’s letter shares the secret:
“I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”

This is where we can find our anchor. This is where we can find our peace. In the one who taught us that we are of great worth to God, we can find contentment. In the one who taught us that we are loved completely, we can stop our relentless chasing after things. In the one who lived this life and understands the challenges of it all, we can find our best life.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud