Gentle Shepherd


 

From time to time I like to stop my walk and enjoy this view for a few minutes. Like most neighborhoods in this metropolitan area, the houses were built with the backyard property lines bordering an alley. The alley provides entry to many of the homes by way of gate and driveway. The gas meters are read from the alley. It is in the alley where our trash and recycling are picked up each Monday.
But this view is different. Every other alley is paved with concrete. For some reason, dating back to 1957 when the neighborhood was built, this alley was left unpaved. So it appears a sleepy country lane. It is shady and green, it seems cool and breezy, no matter the high temperatures of summer. It calls to me and draws me in. I would like to walk into this scene and disappear into the peaceful world that seems to wait in the distance. It is a living portrait of serenity to me.
Jesus said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Jesus invites us into peace and rest. This life with Jesus, even in the midst of the storms of our life, calls to us like that shady lane. Jesus invites us along on a journey that leads us ever closer to the life we long to know. Keeping our eyes on the gentle shepherd, we can be guided through the hardest of times into rest.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud