New Dawn


 

On this particular morning, the sun seemed to be rising perfectly in line with the sidewalk, like a plane rising from the runway. The horizon was obscured by the canopy of Crepe Myrtles that line the walk, giving the result of this other-worldly glow to the path ahead. It was beautiful.
For a few moments of my walk, it looked as if the sidewalks were made of gold. Then the biblical story of Jacob came to mind.
“Jacob was left alone; and a man wrestled with him until daybreak. When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he struck him on the hip socket; and Jacob's hip was put out of joint as he wrestled with him. Then he said, ""Let me go, for the day is breaking."" But Jacob said, ""I will not let you go, unless you bless me."" So he said to him, ""What is your name?"" And he said, ""Jacob."" Then the man said, ""You shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with humans, and have prevailed."" Then Jacob asked him, ""Please tell me your name."" But he said, ""Why is it that you ask my name?"" And there he blessed him. So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, ""For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life is preserved."
Ever since I was a boy, I have loved this mysterious story. I have enjoyed imagining this frantic wrestling match between Jacob and the mysterious visitor in the darkness. They must have been so tired after a long night of struggle, yet the dawn seems to energize them both. Jacob, in his justified fear of what may lie ahead when he reunites with the brother he played for a fool so many years ago, wants a blessing. He needs a blessing. And he hangs on until this man -or angel or God - until he receives one.
He receives a new name, a new identity, and a chance to be a different person than he has chosen to be up to this point in his story. It really was a new day. He walks toward the rising sun a little worse for the wear, but with hope in new possibilities. I have no doubt he would consider it well worth the limp.
Nights can still be long and full of wrestling in our heads and in our hearts. Sometimes we need a blessing to come with the dawn. Sometimes we need a new beginning with new possibilities. Who knows? This might be the day.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud