Brokenness


 

It must be that time of year once again. The flowers are full of lovely butterflies. Actually, the air is full of them as they make their great migration south. What a joy to see them and walk among them.
I was taking a few pictures as many of these lovely creatures were taking a brief rest on their journey. This particular butterfly quickly became my favorite. Did you notice anything about this one? It took me a moment, but then I was instantly a fan. This butterfly is injured. Did you notice the missing tip of the wing? These creatures that seem so delicate and fragile appear to be much tougher than we might think. Here it is, keeping up with the others that show no damage from the flight thus far.
The Psalmist writes, “The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” People are broken in all manner of ways. Broken hearts. Broken health. Broken relationships. Broken dreams. Broken spirits. And like the butterfly, people show an amazing ability to keep going. And to keep loving. And to keep believing, even in the depths of their pain. And broken though we be, people also bring beauty into the lives of others.
I am always amazed at the strength exhibited in the lives of those whose journey crosses with mine for a time. We look in the mirror and see our brokenness. Others look at us and see the beauty, not in spite of our injuries, but because of them. Maybe that is how God redeems the brokenness. Like the injured butterfly, we encourage others in their struggles. Like the injured butterfly, by staying the course we inspire others to do the same.
I’m glad I happened upon this butterfly today. I’m glad my life is full of so many people who inspire me in the same ways.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud