Childlike Imagination


 

One day, for some reason, I was taking my walk inside the church building. As I passed through the children’s building, it was clear that one of the classes had spent some time talking about octopi. (I personally prefer this oldest plural form of octopus. Who wouldn’t?) Based on the wall of fresh artwork, each child contributed their artistic interpretation of an octopus. The display was mesmerizing. It brought great joy to look at each painting as I imagined the look of concentration on the face of each artist at work.
Of all the images, this one, as they say, spoke to me. Perhaps I related to the chubby shape of this one. I never thought of an octopus as having to watch their weight, but I could certainly relate. I also loved the number of limbs. Not only does this beauty have more than eight, it has the interesting number of thirteen. Not twelve or fourteen, or some other even number. Thirteen. I already love the kid who created this, even though I don’t know who they are. The kid has style.
If only we could maintain the creative energy and freedom of a child as we age. If only we could keep that sense of abandon that would allow us to continue to imagine and dream and create across the hard and fast boundaries of the grownup world. What might we do? What joy might we find? How might that change how we interpret our circumstances and the world in which we live? How might it open up our relationship with our Creator?
The scriptures tell us, “And they were bringing children to him that he might touch them, and the disciples rebuked them. But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, “Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.” And he took them in his arms and blessed them, laying his hands on them.”
The great Frederick Buechner writes that, in a way, faith is “wishful thinking”. I think that’s why Jesus points to the children as the model for kingdom living. A child’s imagination does not limit possibilities. Instead, a child’s imagination opens up endless opportunities to connect with the world and with God. A child thinks matter-of-factly about the things we who are older struggle with to no avail. Over the many years of my ministry, I have become convinced that children know God to a remarkable extent. Then we grow up and spend the rest of our lives trying to get back to that place in our relationship with God.
What if we slowed down, gathered our art supplies and started painting octopi from time to time? Who knows what we might discover about ourselves. Who knows what we might learn about God. Just imagine.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud