The Power of Memories


 

As I made my way through the Halloween wonderland that is my neighborhood, I came across an old camper van. It was in the “Good Times” style and fashion and looked like it had surely seen some “good times”. It made me smile. Everyone my age spent at least a few of their teenage years dreaming of such a van and an unplanned and open-ended road trip.
As I drew near to take in the memory, I noticed something in the rear window. It was a face, and I was taken aback to think that I was looking at the van while someone in the van was looking at me. But then I recognized the face. It was The King, Elvis himself. Now that was a perfect addition to my Halloween; seeing Elvis was awesome. For the rest of my walk my mind ran a long forgotten play list of hits.
People long gone from our lives in the physical sense can still illicit strong responses through their memories. Our responses can come from either a joyful or painful place. Parents. Teachers. Friends. An image, whether physical or mental, can transport us back in time in an instant. Sometimes we find strength. Sometimes pain. But the power is undeniable.
When Jesus’ time on earth was finished, those who followed him continued to meet together and to do the things he did. I like to imagine the moment when they finally understood and experienced his words, “when two or three are gathered in my name, I am there with you.” I like to imagine the moment when they realized the power of his ongoing presence through the Spirit and through memory.
May this day find us comforted and blessed with the power of memories that bring joy into our lives. May we be transported for a moment to a time that was a gift to us, and may it be so again. May such moments fill us with strength for whatever we face in life, and may they bring us hope.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud