Tongues of Fire


 

Most Sunday evenings I help serve the meal and hang out with the youth at my church. I think of it as my “weekly dose of young”. There are few things I enjoy more than talking and laughing with young people, sharing about life and studying the Bible with these folk. They make my heart glad.
At the end of the evening, I was taking a few pictures of each smaller group of youth. As I turned to photograph this particular group, I was fascinated by the way the sunset was playing off the brick wall in the background. Do you see it?
In the Book of Acts, the Pentecost event that gave birth to what would later come to be called “church” is described in these words:
“They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them.”
As the rays of the setting sun was filtered through the surrounding Oaks, it appeared to me as flames of fire. And I found it fitting. I have heard the word of God from these young people. I have seen them act compassionately and selflessly toward others. I often sense the Spirit in their midst. I am glad the Spirit still moves and still speaks. I’m glad God hasn’t given up with my generation and is raising up the next wave of disciples who can move the world closer to what God intends.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud