What is Missing?


 

Each time I walk, I am in search of something interesting. And I have yet to be disappointed. All around me are odd or beautiful or fascinating things to enjoy and, sometimes, to write about.
On this particular morning, what captured my attention was what was missing. Amidst yard after yard of elaborate Halloween decorations added during the month, this yard was missing something. Whatever hung in the tree was gone, only the strap that held it remained. I racked my brain trying to remember what I had seen in this tree. Was it a swing? Was it a game of some sort? It was useless. I could not remember what was missing.
I thought of how, in our busyness, we can lose touch with our connection to God. We may not notice at first. Life rolls along in the usual way. We work and play. We see the same people each day and live in the same relationships. Then one day we realize that something is missing. We can’t quite put our finger on it. Experiences aren’t as full. Things that we love don’t bring the same depth of joy. We feel a bit more isolated as we make our way through the days and weeks. Like the tree, we finally realize that the strap is still there but something is missing.
The good news is that God is always longing to be back in that place in our lives. God is always wanting us to know joy and to feel embraced. God is always wanting us to experience life abundantly.
The prophet writes, “Therefore tell the people: This is what the LORD Almighty says: ‘Return to me,’ declares the LORD Almighty, ‘and I will return to you,’ says the LORD Almighty.” Our straps need not remain empty. We know what belongs there. We can welcome God back.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud