Wide-Eyed


 

I have walked these streets countless times in the past year and a half. In the beginning of this adventure, I was often amazed by what I saw. Now, so many miles down the road, what amazes me is what I do not see. Take this tree, for example. As I walked past, it dawned on me that in all the yards I have documented and admired, I believe this is the lone Cedar tree. How strange on both counts; it is the only one of its kind and I never noticed.
How much do we fail to notice along the way? What wonderfully unique experiences do we miss because of our poor observation skills? Who knows? I imagine each day is full all manner of interesting things, all waiting to be observed. So it is in our spiritual lives as well.
The old Gospel hymn says it so well:
“Open my eyes, that I may see
Glimpses of truth thou hast for me;
Place in my hands the wonderful key
That shall unclasp and set me free.
Silently now I wait for thee
Ready, my God, thy will to see
Open my eyes, illumine me, Spirit divine!”
May we spend this day wide-eyed, taking in all that comes in and out of our lives. May the difficult situations we encounter make us compassionate. May the beautiful things fill us with joy. May the mundane suddenly be seen as extraordinary and fill us with a sense of wonder. Open our eyes, Lord.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud