Live Into Each Day


 

Albert Camus wrote, “Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.” Those words are becoming true of so many trees in my neighborhood. As I walk, the colors are a treat as they glow against the green and blue that surround them. Each block brings anticipation. Each block holds the chance of the surprise of color.
With each passing year, I realize more fully how each day of life should be approached with a similar anticipation. Each day holds the possibility of surprise and wonder. Around the corner we may find a life-changing experience. Today might bring a friend into our life that blesses us in ways we can’t imagine. Who knows what we may discover? Who knows what we may experience?
I was talking with a young friend this week about how I met a person who would come to be one of my closest friends. It was one of life’s surprises. We had never met before and were attending seminary in different parts of the country. We were both in the early years of the long process for ordination in our denomination and had returned to Louisiana for a required retreat.
When I arrived at the retreat center and made my way to the cabin to put away my stuff, I found the big bunkhouse empty, save for one person. This stranger was sitting alone, clearly upset. I started to leave them in peace with their struggle, but couldn’t. I turned back and introduced myself. From that moment on we were inseparable friends. We talked almost every day for the next twenty plus years. I could not imagine my journey through life and ministry without that friend.
We read in Proverbs, “Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth.” We really do not know what a day holds, for either good or for ill. That is why we should live into each day with open hearts and eyes and minds. We do not want to miss the beauty along the way. We do not want to miss a surprise that might change our life. And we can live in the faith that even the unpleasant surprises which come do not remove us from the circle of God’s grace and love.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud