Through God's Eyes


 

This little tree is always in its spot. Day after day, year after year, it holds down one end of the landscaping in front of its home. But I have come to realize that I only notice it when the Holiday season arrives. Throughout the rest of the year, it is just a little tree, unimportant and uninteresting. But once October passes, it stands out to me like, well, like a Christmas tree. I find myself expecting it to be decorated when I pass, at the least to have a few ornaments or a light or two stretched around it. The coming of the holidays suddenly brings this little tree front and center. It stays the same, but I see it differently.
This is true of so much of life. What we see can be determined by what we are looking for in the world, in ourselves and in others. We can rush through life, hardly noticing anything or anyone at all, only to find ourselves wondering why our lives feel so empty. We can look at anything and anyone, expecting the worst, and will seldom be disappointed. We can look at anything and anyone with compassion or wonder and often find ourselves amazed at what we see. It matters what we are looking for as we follow our journey each day.
In the story of the anointing of King David, we read these words, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.” I would like to be able to look on the heart of people. I would like to able to see to the heart of situations and circumstances. I would like to be able to see all that comes into my life through God’s eyes.

My guess is that type of seeing and that type of living begins with believing God notices me, little tree that I am, and sees my heart.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud