Life-Giving Peace


 

When I was a boy, one of my favorite cartoon characters was Taz, the Tasmanian Devil. I loved the way he twirled around, a frantic train wreck of a creature. He wasn’t featured in too many episodes, so it was a treat when he made an appearance. My friends and I would call people “Taz” when their behavior was out of control.
I must admit, in my mind I never associated Taz with the Christmas season. But as I enjoyed this display, and the trip down memory lane it inspired, I see the connection. This is about the time when we can easily lose ourselves in the whirlwind of the season. So much to do, so little time. So many people to please. So many expectations to meet. So many appointments on our calendars. All good things, all things we care about, but so many. We can feel like Taz, spinning through life like a tornado.
The prophet Isaiah writes, “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on His shoulders. And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” At this point in my life, that last name in the list is most meaningful. “Prince of Peace”. Oh, how the world needs peace. Oh, how families need peace. Oh, how we as individuals need peace. Peace is one of the gifts God longs for the world to receive.
May we stop our spinning and our mad rush through the season long enough to breathe deeply of life-giving peace. It just may add joy to all the things we must get done. It may add meaning to the chaos of our lives. It may just change our life.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud