The Power of Refuge


 

As I have documented over this past year and a half, I have enjoyed the wide variety of objects I have come across in my walks. The strip of lawn between the sidewalk and street holds many interesting discarded treasures as trash day draws near each week. Large items and small, broken down or almost new, one never knows what may be found there.
As I turned on this particular block, I could see in a distance that someone had discarded a rug. When I arrived, I found the sight most curious. For some reason it made me think of the story, “101 Dalmatians”. The manner in which the tassels fell out of the rolled up carpet appeared as if twenty or so puppies were soundly sleeping in the safety of its cover. It made me smile.
There are times when we can feel that kind of security and peace, and that makes us smile as well. The bills are paid, those with whom we are closest are safe and sound, the future looks bright. Most of us do not live in this place as a constant, but what a gift of peace when we find ourselves there, even for a moment.
At other times, life is full of anxiety and stress. We can feel that we are trying to just keep our heads above the rough water of our circumstances. Our hearts are broken, not just for our immediate state of affairs, but for the pain and struggle of those we love.
In those times, if only we could find a place that seems to hold us close and safe.
The Psalmist writes, “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” The writer knew all too well hard times of many kinds. The writer also knew the abiding presence of God. The writer knew the power of refuge in times of trouble. May we know that power as well.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud