Cross Entrance


 

As I, from time to time, take my walk around the church property, I always find this little porch to be among my favorite spots. I am certain that one reason I am drawn here is because this is the entrance into our preschool and children’s building. Being around children always brings me joy.
I also like this porch because of the way the light and shadows fall, depending on the time of day and time of year. The sharp, crisp line of the sun as it finds its way under the cover of the roof. The soft, calm shadows provided by trees and structure. It is a scene that is constantly changing.
But I think what I like most about this spot is how inviting it is to all who pass by. The sense of security provided by the cover of the porch, the cross, the little bench that sits at the end of the space, the gardens that greet you - all these factors come together to say to any and all, “You are welcome here”.
This will always be my vision of the Church. This will always be my prayer for the Church. A safe place. A place of peace and rest. A place where, when life gets ugly, one can find a glimpse of beauty. A place of shade and calm. A place of light and hope. I pray the Church always feel as if it were home to any and all who long for home.
We read these words that describe the community of the early church in 1 Peter:
“Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. Show hospitality to one another without grumbling. As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace: whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ.”
We have the power to create “home” for others. In doing so, we find it for ourselves. What a gift we have to offer the world. What a joy to welcome all. What a joy to be welcomed.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud