Embraced and Sheltered


 

As I made my way around the neighborhood, I saw something new and very interesting as I looked down the length of the block. If you are of a certain age, as am I, the shape of this object will forever be a part of your memory. I couldn’t believe my eyes. Could it be the Mercury space capsule returning to earth after a trip into space and orbiting the earth? Well, it was a fun thought, and a good memory.
Apparently what I saw was some type of combination swing and playhouse hanging in a large Oak tree. It had port hole windows and an entrance flap that could be secured. I could not help but imagine how cozy and safe one would feel inside, or how nice to rest within as this little pod swayed ever so gently in the breeze. But, assuming I would be well past the weight limit, and knowing I was well past the height restrictions, I refrained from trying to climb aboard. A brief pause to imagine the experience would have to suffice.
Though this pod was made for small children, it reminded me that we never outgrow the need and desire to feel safe and secure. The Psalmist writes,

“He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” At any age we can feel the need to feel embraced and sheltered from the stress of life and gently rocked in loving arms. At any age we are still children of God, and God longs to comfort and sustain us. We only need to pause in our struggling from time to time and avail ourselves to a moment of God’s nurturing and love.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud