Focus Outward

As you may guess from my last post, the children in the preschool have me thinking about my goals for the new year. I took several pictures that I will keep, not only because I find their plans amusing, but also because I find their plans inspiring. I am fascinated with how their minds work. But I am also fascinated by their hearts. This in itself was a good reminder for me; whether we realize it or not, the plans we make reveal our hearts as well. 

"In 2022 I will give everybody cookies!" As a big guy, this child is speaking my language. Is the exclamation point really necessary? Not for me. If cookies are involved, I read everything as if it is marked by an exclamation point! After all, we are talking cookies.

I love that this child's goal is not to eat more cookies. I love that this child's goal is not to bake more cookies. No, this goal is focused outward on others. "I will give everybody cookies". And if the word "give" is not wonderful enough, they used the word "everybody". Not "my family" or "my friends", but "everybody". I like that because I'm an everybody. 

We read in 2 Corinthians that, "You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God." We have what we have in order to share with others. When we live in that place, we make a difference in the world. We can share our wealth. We can share our joy. We can share encouragement. We can share love. Whatever we have to share at a particular moment in a particular situation can make a difference in someone's life. And sharing always makes a difference in our life as well. Sharing makes us all more grateful. So, where are those cookies….

Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud