Moments of Calm

 


After what seems like weeks on end of unusually windy weather, this day had dawned still and calm. It was cold, but the sky was blue and the sun was shining as I walked across the campus of the hospital where I had gone to visit a friend in the emergency room. On the return walk to my truck, I turned the corner and noticed these three flag poles. Somehow, I was oblivious to them as I had passed by on my way in. Now I stopped and took in the sight as they stood at attention against a backdrop of brilliant sky.
I suppose it could have been because of the long stretch of windy days. Or, perhaps it was because of the busyness of my life in recent weeks. It could have been because my mind had been racing with concern for my friend ever since I had received word of his situation. It was probably due to a combination of all three. Whatever the reason, I do not believe I have ever caught a glimpse of anything in my life that spoke so clearly of stillness and calm.
As the flags hung straight down in the absence of the wind, words from the Psalmist came to mind.
“Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”, and, “Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices!”
It is a gift to know moments of stillness when life is chaotic and frantic. It is a gift to know moments of calm when the winds seem to batter us, day after day after day. God offers such moments, even in the midst of trouble and struggle. If only we will be still and know.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud