Perseverance


 

This particular morning was brutally cold. The temperature was at the freezing point, the wind howling at thirty miles per hour. As I drove past my neighborhood park, I was amazed to see a small group braving the weather. I pulled in a parking lot in order to get a closer look. What I had discovered was a soccer practice. I thought to myself that this must be a group of highly committed players, not even such harsh weather could dampen their passion for the sport. But as I parked near the field, I was even more astounded. These players were on crutches, running and kicking and displaying amazing skills.
I could not help but think of words like commitment, perseverance and dedication as I paused for a few minutes to watch. How easy it is for us to let any number of things keep us from our plans and commitments. Of the crowd that normally fills the park, these athletes were the lone group to keep their practice time on this cold morning. The weather did not deter them. The fact that they used crutches to navigate did not stop them from the game they love. I could see on their faces and hear in their voices that it was not just the sport they loved, it was the experience of being together. They counted on one another and they did not disappoint.
In the book of Romans we read, “…because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame…” I am so thankful that I happened upon this group as they practiced the sport they love. I drove away inspired by their perseverance. The experience caused me to imagine how such character played out in other areas of their lives. It seemed to me that these would be wonderful friends to have in one’s life. My guess is that they are also great students and dependable employees and faithful people in all their endeavors. They can be counted on. They persevere.
We need perseverance to be the people we wish to be, to have the life we long to have. We find the hope for both in the character produced by perseverance.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud