Navigating Changes


 

If you have followed me on my walks from time to time you know that I love swings. This one has not been hanging for too long, it is a fairly new addition to its lovely home. The children who live here laugh and giggle as their parents push them in this wonderful swing. But what captured my attention on this day was the shadow.
It struck me that the swing doubles as a kind of sun dial, the shadow moving as the earth makes its way around the sun each day. I thought how interesting it would be to mark the shadow’s path on the lawn during this season. Hours could be indicated by stakes driven into the lawn. The children could learn about time and the concept of how time passes.
But I realized that these parents are probably already very aware of how time is passing. My guess is that each day something indicates how quickly their children are growing up. I also realized that the stakes would be accurate for only a short time. The time change comes soon. The season changes. The angle of the sun changes. Life goes on in its never ending parade of change.
The prophet Daniel writes, “He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding”. Change is all a part of life.

Whether the passing of the seasons or the development of our children, all things were created to change. Sometimes change is exciting. Sometimes change is frightening. Perhaps the key to navigating the changes that come our way is to not miss the joy of taking a moment to play on the random swings we find along the way.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud