Overwhelming Beauty


 

After an evening of thunder and lightning and rain, the early morning was brisk and the air fresh. The moon was so bright that, even with all the ambient light, it shone like the sun. I have always liked this effect. It seems dreamlike. Ever since I was a boy sleeping outdoors on summer nights, a bright moon has filled my heart with wonder. The beauty of it captures my imagination. Such a scene reminds me how much I wish I had the talent to paint. But, alas, All I have is a heart to appreciate the awesome beauty of the morning.
These years of pandemic have been difficult in so many ways. We have been stressed by changes in routine. We have mourned the loss of those we loved and cared about. We have worried about the effect of isolation on both adults and children. We have feared the continuing economic fallout. It has seemed the world has gone mad. We are exhausted and weary to our core.
This early morning moon reminds me that, through it all, there remains overwhelming beauty in the world. Creation shines and sings and continues moving ever forward. People are capable of unbelievable kindness and generosity, not only to their friends and family, but to strangers. Gifted souls continue to paint and compose and write words that express what we feel yet cannot speak.
When the prophet Isaiah had his vision of God in the Temple, there were mysterious creatures flying about. He writes, “And one called to another and said: “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!” I find it interesting that the heavenly creatures point to God’s glory on earth. We need not only look to heaven to see God’s glory. We are surrounded by beauty that points us to God. Even in the worst of times, we can catch glimpses.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud