New Perspective


 

After over two years of writing and reflecting on the little things that I find on my walks, I have begun to notice some interesting changes from time to time as I cover the streets. This house has a new color on the trim. That tree has a new swing. This yard has added a sprinkler system. That is a different car in the driveway. That fence has been stained. So many little things that capture my attention after so many trips down the sidewalks of the neighborhood.
As I passed this small garden, I did a double take as I saw out of the corner of my eye what appeared to be a small dinosaur going for my ankle. Hidden in the rocks, it had a prime position from which to attack anyone walking by. As I paused, laughing, to take a picture, I realized I knew this dinosaur. I had seen it before. I had written about it before.
This creature usually stood watch on a picnic table back further in the yard, surrounded by a few other planters of various shapes and sizes. I suppose it just needed a change of scenery this Spring. Perhaps a change in perspective was in order. For whatever reason, it is a new day with a new point of view for my friend the dinosaur.
In those days following the first Easter, we imagine those earliest disciples trying to find a new perspective and point of view. They had left so much behind to follow Jesus, now what? He is somehow alive again, yes, but now what? Are they now in danger from the authorities as well? Should they try to go back to their old lives? What do they do with this story even they find so hard to believe?
We can find ourselves in such a place as well. Life has thrown us a curve and we need a new perspective. We are lost in grief and we find it hard to find any point of view other than that of the darkness. We are stuck in a routine and find ourselves just going through the motions of life, day in and day out. We need a change.
Paul writes, “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” We all need to find a new perspective from time to time. God is at work to lead us there, lead us to a place where we see ourselves and other people from God’s point of view. That will change us. That will change the world.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud