Odd Duck


 

Yesterday our church was visited by a pair of odd ducks. Literally, odd ducks. We don’t usually have ducks. But as I arrived to campus in the early morning, two ducks were visiting our new construction. I watched them as they waddled out of the not yet completed building. They took a bit of time in what will be the main entrance to the building, checking out the concrete work. I laughed as I watched them make their way to the crosswalk before they traversed the driveway and headed toward the other buildings. I found this scene quite amusing and went on my way to begin my work.
Later, as I walked around the buildings, enjoying a beautiful clear day, I saw them in the prayer garden. Later still, they were by the entrance to the children’s building, watching humans unload food for a big dinner that was happening in an hour or so. I never dreamed that these odd ducks had spent the entire day with us. I’m glad they found a home, at least for a day, in a peaceful place with kind people.
I think I like the idea of these visitors because we are all odd ducks, unique and awkward in our own way. The Church is the place to be for all us odd ducks. We read these words in Galatians, “There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.” What makes the power of life in community so strong is the fact that if we are all odd ducks, none of us are odd ducks; we are just brothers and sisters sharing the journey of life and faith. And when we get it right, we model for the world an alternative way to treat our neighbors. When we get it right, we bring some hope into this troubled world for all our fellow odd ducks.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud