We Have a Choice


 

My phone holds more photographs than I can sift through in any meaningful way. As I have moved from phone to phone across the years, somehow the magic works and they go with me. Over the past two years, the number of photos taken each week has grown considerably. As I capture an image, I begin to think about what it says to me and how I might share my reflections in a meaningful way.
You might be able to imagine my surprise at this photograph as I sat down to write this morning. It seems to be a perfect image of, well, nothing. What was I trying to capture when I took this picture? Where was I? How did I not notice my failure and delete this shot immediately? As I chose a photo each morning, how did this blank shot go unnoticed?
So this morning I find myself wondering. I wonder what had captured my attention so as to warrant a photo. I wonder if I took a picture of something serene and peaceful or funny and wild. I wonder if that photo was my best photo yet. I wonder.
Why am I obsessed with this one disappointing mystery photo when I have thousands that are clear and in focus? Why am I focusing on one failure instead of celebrating this wild ride of the past two years? It is easy to fall into such thinking in the context of the big picture of our lives. One disappointment distracts us from so many blessings. One criticism drowns out the support of affirmation from everyone else. One closed door blinds us to all the other possibilities our life holds.
This blank photograph and my reaction to it brings to mind a favorite verse:
“Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.”
We can make a choice as to what we let be the focus of our minds and hearts. What we have or what we don’t have. Who we are or who we are not. The unjustified critical voices or the kind words. The one bad photo or the thousands of others that bring us joy.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud