Shine For Each Other



Once again I was fortunate to walk by the sanctuary at exactly the right time to receive a gift. On this day, the sun was coming through the cupola in such a way that it was as if someone held a huge magnifying glass to the light and focused it precisely where the two bars of the altar cross meet. Even in the full light of day and room, the cross glowed.
Imagery of light in the darkness abounds, as it should. There is great power in the truth of one candle piercing the darkness and of the light that the darkness cannot overcome. This scene in the sanctuary led my mind in another direction. It made me think of the light that is strong enough to shine in the fullness of day.
I have known people who were that type of light to my world. Not only in the shadows of hard times, but in the sunshine of good times they brightened my days and guided my path. Their lives brought joy and love wherever they were. Their lives inspired others to kindness and compassion. They glowed, even in the full light.
In the Book of Proverbs we read, “The path of the righteous is like the morning sun, shining ever brighter till the full light of day.” I have said goodbye to some of these special people over the years, but even after their death their light continues to shine brightly into my life. In my faith tradition, one of the prayers we say at memorial services contains this phrase, “let perpetual light shine upon them”. I like that thought. But, better still, I like that their light continues to shine on us. I am grateful for those whose light has blessed and guided me. May we shine for each other and for the world today.

Peace. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud