Still Easter



As I walked through the lovely baptismal garden/columbarium are at the church, I was deep in thought about many things. There is so much sorrow in the world. Among my congregation there are struggles and surgeries and the death of loved ones. After two years of avoiding it, after vaccinations and boosters to elude it, I had been sick with Covid. As I walked with all this and more on my mind, I saw these lovely lilies in the cool shade of a summer afternoon. And it hit me - it was still Easter.
These lilies had once graced the chancel in our beautiful sanctuary during our Easter worship. They were carefully planted in this sacred space and are blooming again in all their glory. What a wonderful reminder to me and my heavy heart that it is still Easter.
We read in 1 Peter, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.”
Pope John Paul ll wrote, “Do not abandon yourselves to despair. We are the Easter people and hallelujah is our song.”
Even in the shadow of death, even in the unanswered “whys”, even in the moments when we feel the most lost, it is still Easter. Thanks be to God.

Peace. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud