One With All Creation


 

As I sat writing a sermon at the desk in my study at home on the Memorial Day Holiday, this little neighbor decided to come sit on the other side of the window. I could just see the little head framed between the slats of the blinds, and I wondered if it saw my huge head framed in the same way.
I was surprised that the visit was so long-lived; I expected the bird to depart as quickly as it arrived. But it stayed.
As we sat so close, separated by less than three feet of space and a window, I began to wonder if the bird was watching me and thinking the same thing. Did it expect me to leave? Was it fascinated with this creature on the other side of the glass? I wonder if our fellow creatures ponder what we do and think and feel as we do them?
Jesus taught that one thing we have in common with all of creation is the love and care of the Creator.
“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. ...”
I find it a comfort, this idea of being one with all creation. It is one more way of knowing that God’s love surrounds all that is. It is one more way of knowing that there is no place I can be that God’s love isn’t already there. It is one more way of belonging to each other, regardless of who we are or what we are struggling with at any particular moment. I am glad I had this little visitor at my window. It brought good news to mind.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud