Sanctuary


 

I love this picture of the youth choir from my church as they served in St. Louis this week. They had just finished a hot morning of work cleaning up a garden that ran alongside the magnificent sanctuary of the historic Centenary United Methodist Church. Before their lunch break, they gathered in a circle on the labyrinth for a time of devotion.
The five red doors at the front of the church provide a vivid backdrop for this gathering of weary pilgrims. The red doors of a church symbolize that this is a true sanctuary, a place of refuge. The red doors invite all who may pass into a safe place, into a place of emotional and spiritual healing. The red doors welcome all into a place of forgiveness.
The labyrinth was also the perfect place for this group to gather. They talked about how a labyrinth is different from a maze. The purpose of a maze is to get a person lost. The purpose of a labyrinth is to lead a person to the center and back out again. I love that the journey on this labyrinth takes place in the shadow of the church front with the five red doors.
From time to time we all need a sanctuary. It may be that we need a physical respite from the hectic pace of our lives. It may be that we need a place of emotional rest in the midst of personal challenges and struggles. Perhaps we need to find rest for our souls in the arms of grace and forgiveness. Whatever our need, whatever our journey, the red doors await one and all. Jesus greets us there with these words,

“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud