Steadfast Love of God


 

As I walked in the quiet of the early morning, I made the corner and stumbled into a raucous murder of crows. The quiet of the morning was over, to say the least! The group cranked up the noise and never stopped until I had turned the corner and was out of their sight. I suppose I disturbed them and crashed their morning routine. I know they certainly startled me.
One of the things I have always liked about my life as a pastor is how different each day is from the next. I start out each day with a list of what I have to get done. Then I have a list of what I’d like to get done. But as the day begins, I know I will do what needs to be done. It is an adventure each day, full of surprises and unplanned experiences. It is never dull or boring.
Life is full of surprises, some good and some not so good. We begin our journey each morning, never knowing what we will find as we turn the first corner of the day. Raucous crows or a beautiful sunrise. Peace or chaos. Sickness or health. Joy or sorrow. We can walk into anything; but usually we walk into some combination of all of the above. That’s the way life is. Or so it seems to me.
The Psalmist writes, “Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.”
We can hear of God’s steadfast love in so many ways. We can hear of it through the words of scripture. We can hear of it through the beauty of the sunrise. We can hear of God’s love through a quiet calm. We can even hear of it through the startling noise of crows, who live their life sustained by that same steadfast love of God.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud