The Spirit is All Around Us


 

On a recent walk through the park, I came upon this dove that was taking a walk of its own. It slowly moved along, stopping to peck here and peck there. It was moving in the direction that made it appear as if it were following its own shadow as it made its way across the huge expanse of grass. Quiet, calm and graceful, it walked.
I began to think of the many references to the dove in the Bible. Noah sent a dove out from the ark to see if the flood waters had subsided. The moaning of the people in their grief is compared to the sad call of the dove. The Song of Solomon speaks of the beauty of the dove. The dove was an acceptable sacrifice for those who could not afford a lamb.
All the Gospel writers tell the story a little differently when describing Jesus being baptized by John in the river Jordan. But the one thing that they all share is the image of the dove descending upon him. Matthew writes, “And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him; and behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”
Every time I see a dove, my mind goes to the story of Jesus baptism. I see it as a reminder that the Spirit is all around us, reminding us that God loves us too. I feel comforted that God is still involved and active in the world and in us.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud