Safe Place


 

As I stopped to fill my truck’s tank with gas one morning, I saw this sign. Being the creature of habit that I am, I always fill up at the same station. I’m sure that this sign has been there as long as I have been going to the corner store for gas, but I had never noticed it before. I’m not sure why I saw it on this day. But it captured my attention for the whole of my visit.
“Safe Place”. Isn’t that what we are all looking for? A safe place for our children to call home. A safe place for teachers and children to go to school each day. A safe place to work. A safe place to be who we truly are. A safe place to BE. I would think that this is a universal desire, a desire that crosses every boundary and barrier we have worked so hard to build between us. Regardless of our religion, race, ethnicity, age, gender, economic status or orientation, the one thing it seems we could all rally around is the idea of making our community a safe place. A safe place for everyone. Deep down we know that a safe place for everyone is the only way to have a safe place for ourselves.
The Psalmist writes, “In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.”
God’s dream for all is that the world be a safe place. We have the responsibility, and the great privilege, of working with God to make it so. We take steps in that direction when we move beyond “my” needs to “our” needs. Then God works through us to bless others with a sense of finding a safe place to be. This is a worthy task. This is a holy task. This is God’s dream for the world - that all may live in a safe place.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud