Little Things

The cold temperatures have helped to load the trees around the church with bright red berries. I Know that the holiday season is upon us when I notice this colorful change. The sunset makes the berries glow against the big blue sky and they seem to join the cupola in reaching toward heaven.

As this week calls us to be particularly intentional in regards to gratitude, I pause to think of that for which I am grateful. We are always, I hope, aware of the big things that bless our lives. Health. Family. Friends. Home. Work. Faith. Love. This year I am aware of so many little things. A good night of sleep. A text from a far away friend when you feel alone. The cold, crisp air on a morning walk. The feeling that you are being prayed for and loved by people who will never be known by name. The gift of laughter in the darkest of days. A sense of God nearby.

As I ponder my list of little things, I come to realize that they are, in fact, the big things. These "little things" give the "big things" added depth and meaning. These "little things", when noticed, can fill our hearts with gratitude, even when we find ourselves in a moment when we do not feel very thankful at all. That, I believe, is grace. And for that good gift, let us all give thanks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud