Quiet Surprises

This little friend decided to pause and stare at me as long as I was willing to pause and stare at him. It was a beautiful moment of silence and calm and peace. I'm not sure how long we enjoyed each other's presence, but it seemed like quite a good while. I sensed no fear at all in this deer. Of course, I was on his turf and was armed with only my phone. I was driving when I spotted him, so I pulled over and parked. I thought he would rush back into the woods before I could take a photograph. What a pleasant surprise it was.
Sometimes surprises burst into our life loud and big, like a rousing rendition of "Happy Birthday" at a surprise party or in a humming crowd at some huge event. But at other times, surprises slip into our consciousness, subtle and understated. A deer at the edge of the woods. A card with words of love when you need it most. The smile of a friend long missed. A feeling of peace when life is anything but peaceful.
In fact, it may be that those quiet surprises move us more deeply than those which are loud and big. Such surprises remind us of the power of silence, the connection of hearts across space and time and the far reach of love. To me, they remind me of the always surprising presence of God. Even when we are not aware, God is here. Even when we do not pray, God is here. Even when we doubt that God is, God is here.
Sometimes we need to pull over on the side of the road and sit with the presence of God. Perhaps God will sit with us there as long as we are willing. Isn't that an interesting thought? Wouldn't that be a wonderful surprise?
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Live Out Loud