The Little Things by Barry Hughes


Today I am reminded that while being overwhelmed with the big things, and we all are dealing with BIG things these days, it is so easy to become blind to the little things that make our life the gift it is, even in the time of overwhelming big things.

In recent days I have made connections with people I grew up with, went to school with, shared young years of fun with. I have had people send words of thanks for something I’ve done or tell me they are praying for me or that I am loved. Melody’s little dog does not know anything is wrong in the world; she just knows we are around and that seems to be a good thing. My roses are blooming and the birds are singing. Each day I run across a new message on the sidewalk and have a focus, if only for a moment, for my mind that seems to be always on a dead run these days.

What I find when I take time to enjoy the little things is this: the little things ARE the big things. As Jesus taught how to live an eternal life kind of life, he did not tell us to master the complexities of philosophy but to “do to others as you would have them do to you.” He taught us to love one another. He taught us to serve one another. These little things are big enough to change our life. These little things are big enough to change the world. Live into the little things.

Peace.

-Barry Hughes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud