Sunrise by Barry Hughes


On this day’s journey I am greeted by the sunrise and the play of light and shadow through the old Oaks that stand silent sentry along the streets of my neighborhood. It is a striking and beautiful scene, always different yet always the same. It is the sameness that marks the beginning of the new day. It is the different that makes each sunrise beautiful in itself.

As a child, I can recall being so energized with expectation that I could not sleep. Tomorrow is my birthday! Tomorrow is the beginning of an exciting trip! Tomorrow I see my best friend! Tomorrow is Christmas! If only the sunrise would come and time would allow me to get on with it! It is the expectation of the the different that makes such an anticipated sunrise beautiful.

At other moments along the way of life’s journey, I have known that excitement to diminish to barely a whisper in my heart. The new day brings the same problem, the same frustration, the same disappointment, the same grief. In times such as this it is the sameness of the sunrise that rules the day.

Fortunately, through no merit of my own, sunrises such as these have been the exception in my life. But when they come, even they have served as a gift. They have given me an awareness of the sunrises of others. They have given me compassion for those who, for whatever reasons unknown to them, live with a relentless sameness in their lives. They have given me a love for those who long for different, each and every day.

The Psalmist writes that “weeping may last for the night, but joy comes in the morning.” This beautiful sunrise fills my heart with compassion for all who awake this day to find their experience of life unchanged, in spite of their hard work and high hopes. This beautiful sunrise calls me to work and pray for the end to the long nights of weeping that far too many know all too well. This beautiful sunrise inspires me to be a giver of joy, this and every morning.

Peace.

-by Barry Hughes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud