Turned into Christmas


Today was a great day in many ways, but none greater than the moment when, on my walk, I discovered the Great Christmas Rooster of Heights Park. Standing proud and tall, draped in festive lights, this big guy stands guard on the front porch. Though I’m often surprised by what I come across in my wonderful neighborhood, I seriously doubt I will see another sight like this Christmas Rooster.
This year I have been convinced that absolutely anything can be turned into Christmas. Add some colored lights or a red bow and instantly you have a holiday decoration that shares joy and gives the gift of laughter.
I have also been convinced this year that we, too, can all be turned into Christmas. No, it isn’t bring draped in lights or wrapped in a bow that transforms us. Instead, it is a smile or a simple act of kindness toward another. It is an act of civility in a harsh world, an anonymous generous act toward a stranger. It is love lived out in the face of anger. Offering hope is what does the magic.
“Fear not, for behold I bring you tidings of great joy”. When we freely give away the Good News of God’s great love for all, it not only changes the life of another, it changes our life. Then we join the story. Then we become Christmas.
Peace.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud