A Child at Home


 

As I walk my neighborhood, I am always impressed with this side yard. It couldn’t be more welcoming. Five different seats, of all shapes and sizes, welcome all who pass by. Children or adult, there is a seat that would accommodate. I always want to stop and rest a while. I always wonder if anyone would join me. I always wonder if I could rest and feel at home.
Recently our choir sang a setting of Isaac Watts version of Psalm 23. To me, it speaks of finding rest to my heart as does no other poem.
1 My Shepherd, you supply my need,
most holy is your name;
in pastures fresh you make me feed,
beside the living stream.
You bring my wand'ring spirit back.
when I forsake your ways;
you lead me, for your mercy's sake,
in paths of truth and grace.
2 When through the shades of death I walk,
your presence is my stay;
one word of your supporting breath
drives all my fears away.
Your hand in sight of all my foes,
does still my table spread;
my cup with Blessings overflows,
your oil anoints my head.
3 Your sure provisions gracious God
attend me all my days;
oh, may your house be my abode,
and all my work be praise.
Here would I find a settled rest,
while others go and come;
no more a stranger, nor a guest,
but like a child at home.
Oh, to feel like a child at home. Oh, to find that settled rest. Perhaps my neighbor’s yard is a glimpse. Perhaps my neighbor is a glimpse. Perhaps we can bring some rest to each other.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud