God's Good Gifts


 

A few nights ago, it was almost a full moon. Almost. Still, the brightness of the almost full moon gave the evening a wonderful feel. I always enjoy the dark that isn’t dark when the moon shines bright. Such a night seems peaceful and calm to me. The air is cool and the breeze is gentle. It feels easier to breathe and a racing mind slows a bit. It is a wonderful gift of beauty at the end of a long day.
God’s gifts come to us in all manner of ways. Some we anticipate and look forward to, adding to their value to us. The birth of a child. A graduation. A new career opportunity. A visit with a dear friend long missed.
Others come to us like an almost full moon, unexpected and surprising. I remember once, long ago, when I was struggling in life. I felt alone and lost in unknown territory. I did not know where to turn or what to do. Out of the blue a knock on the door revealed a friend who, somehow, felt that I could use a kind face in that moment. It made all the difference. To this day I remember the gift of it. It didn’t change the struggle. But it did change me.
James writes, “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.” No matter what else changes in this world, or in our lives, one thing is constant. God is filling the world with good and perfect gifts in all our hard and imperfect times. May we have eyes to see and hearts to embrace.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud